We are committed to ensuring environmental sustainability by incorporating Energy Efficient Design Principles as part of our design philosophy.
Our aim is to design you a home so that it is sympathetic to the immediate surrounds with minimal environmental impact and the maximum in energy efficiency.
Having researched and visited your block of land, we design within its specific microclimate, optimising your home’s orientation whilst capturing any potential views.
With the regions climate being so cool and coupled with the fact that approximately 60% of our household energy bills are used to heat our homes, good orientation will increase the energy efficiency of your home, making it more comfortable to live in and cheaper to run.
We understand the importance of this relationship whereby we analyse and recommend key design improvements during the initial creation and documentation of your new home.
We are constantly looking to develop new and innovative construction techniques and materials in the quest to improve thermal performance, comfort and livability of our homes. Some of the key energy reduction principles we apply include:
- Thermal Massing of wall and floor surfaces exposed to winter sun, designed to release heat at night i.e. polished concrete flooring, masonry, stone or rammed earth walls.
- Effective Window placement maximises winter heat gain while offering protection from the harsh summer sun.
- Ensuring adequate cross ventilation for summer cooling
- Efficient heating and cooling systems that allow you to set different temperatures for different zones
- Roof lines, overhangs and eaves. These provide protection to walls and windows from the summer sun.
- Insulation to wet area internal walls provides separation from the living areas reducing heat loss
Also impacted are the placement and sizes of windows, the location of outdoor living areas and the use of deciduous trees for sun-shading and wind-screening.
During the summer months, the northerly sun is easily controlled with a variety of smart design shading options that we will recommend to you during our design process.
Through good design and energy efficiency planning, we are able to design you a home that achieves energy ratings that exceed the minimum 6 star rating.